This week, Alexander Woolley joins me to discuss Ukraine, and in particular the historic Black Sea port of Odessa.
We cover various topics, including:
- Is it ‘Ukraine’ or ‘The Ukraine’ and the whole ‘correcting people on how they pronounce a country’ thing.
- On being squashed between other countries (see also: Poland)
- The wonderful city of Odessa
- The Potemkin stairs (or are they steps?)
- Going to the opera / theatre (including tips)
- Speaking the language – or not (and indeed which one?)
- Ukrainian food and restaurants
- Sleeper train travel in Ukraine
Listen / Watch
Or right here on the page:
Sergei Eistenstein’s Battleship Potemkin.
Michael Douglas just wants some breakfast (the bit with the food / photo comparison is near the end of the clip).
Note that in this podcast I talk about the area in front of Lviv train station being a mess. Since recording this, I’ve passed through Lviv once again, and they were in the process of completely redeveloping it.
[NB: there may be affiliate links on this page, meaning that Amazon and others may give me some pocket fluff as thanks for nudging you in their direction, while you pay the exact same amount]